Monday, February 21, 2011

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare


City of Glass is the best in the series...so far. Yes, I got hooked and burned through the series this week. And now, now I have to wait 43 days to read the next one! Anyone got an ARC they want to let me borrow?
Anyway...on to the review

To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters -- never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.
As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadow-hunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadow-hunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her new found powers to help save the Glass City -- whatever the cost? (taken from Goodreads.com)

First about Clare. She did an excellent job tying up the loose ends. I mean all the loose ends in this trilogy, even with a fourth book on the way. I feel had she ended the series with this book, I would feel happy about how it ended and have an idea about each character and the direction they were heading, and I LOVE THAT.

SO MANY THINGS TO SAY ABOUT THIS BOOK but I am really going to try to not to do so many spoilers.

First, Magnus Bane - yes I have a bit of an obsession. I think he is so incredibly sweet how he fell for Alec, is understanding of Alec's predicament and fear of being gay, and is helpful to all of his friends.

Second, Clary and her awesome ability. I knew she would be the crucial factor in deciding the war and she was twice technically, once with the allegiance rune and then again at the mirror. She was so incredibly brave the whole time. I think Clare also captured a teenager when Clary, when first seeing her mom, is angry for the whole situation and she's 16, she should be upset that this blindsided her.

Third Jocelyn. She was so important in finding out the real truth about the situation (though there was some foreshadowing that all was not disclosed) and when I say situation I mean why Clary and Jace were experiments and how and that they .... I'm not going to spoil it, but lord was I relieved.

Fourth, I feel for Jace in this one as he struggles with being Valentine's son, feeling a separation from the Lightwoods, having everyone at Idris mistrust him, finding out he's part ...., and his feelings for his "sister." With his previous characterizations from the first two books, I am surprised he wasn't more self-destructive then he was.

As for the plot, I really liked how half the book was non-stop war, battles, clues, and action. There was no down moments that were not making me want to read more.

Some quick thoughts
I think readers will be shocked when they discover what Valentine did to "his" children
Jace and Clary were still undeniably attracted to one another and at times, heartbreaking
Isabelle, poor Isabelle
Luke equals one of the best "dads" of all book time
Valentine has a heart, screwed up and demented, but it's there
Loved what the mirror was...
Loved the angel aspect of the book

5/5

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and I'm now following yours :)

    I really do want to read Speak, I think it's going on my birthday list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I haven't read this one. Goodness, my TBR pile is growing by the hour :)

    Hugs,

    Rach

    ReplyDelete