Sunday, February 20, 2011

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare


So yes, I am burning through the series now! I have to know more about Jace and Clary...

As readers of series starter City of Bones already know, teenager Clary Fray is a Shadowhunter, a demon slayer who has the gift of spotting Downworlder werewolves, vampires, and faeries. She is also an adolescent in an abnormally dysfunctional family: Her mom is in a magically induced coma and her father is probably insane and undoubtedly evil. All of which places Clary in situations that would challenge even the most talented average American girl. (taken from Goodreads.com)


Clare in this second novel does an excellent job not changing her character's personalities; they stay true to the first book. I can't stand when authors have characters do complete turn arounds with no reasons. My heart breaks for Clary; she really loves Jace and to know that it is wrong...heartbreaking! I do love the fact that she is strong willed enough but does listen to reason...aka Luke, not Jace.

Maryse Lightwood, another character my heart goes out to. To have to lie to the Inquisitor and and to Jace to protect him, take a strong person. She did what she believed what was best for Jace, though I hated her at first. (Clare does a great job making me feel towards her characters and I love to hate characters. I think an author has a great talent when they can make a reader hate a character.)

There is something big coming about Jace coming, from the Inquisitor, Luke, and Maryse... they all know/knew something about Jace but no one ever said it.

I am assuming the City of Glass has to do with the third mortal instrument. For single objects, Clare does a great job making them a focal point throughout each book. I have these very elaborate ideas in my head about what each instrument looks like. And I appreciate that Clare lets me have some imagination about it as well.

Some quick thoughts:
I still love Magnus Bane.
I wasn't surprised by Jace's enhanced ability...I think it well deserving
I want to know more about Clary's though
I want to know how Valentine messed with them as children
The Queen of the Faeries is a naughty and I love it
Simon? Whoa!
Simon and Maia saw it coming a mile away

4/5

2 comments:

  1. Doesn;t it make you mad that it's already book 2 and nothign yet on that horrible twist of fate between clary and jace? I refuse to believe its true! I REFUSE!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. I am going to warn you Diana, I read the third book. DO NOT READ MY REVIEW! I dont wan to give anything away!

    ReplyDelete