Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Wordsworth Classics Reading Challenge 2011 (2)

Macbeth by William Shakespeare!

One of the great Shakespearean tragedies, Macbeth is a dark and bloody drama of ambition, murder, guilt and revenge. Prompted by the prophecies of three mysterious witches and goaded by his ambitious wife, the Scottish thane Macbeth murders Duncan, King of Scotland, in order to succeed him on the throne. This foul deed soon entangles the conscience-stricken nobleman in a web of treachery, deceit and more murders that ultimately spells his doom - taken from Goodreads.com

As an English teacher you would think that I would be a huge fame of Bill (as I so lovingly call him). I'm not really. However, Macbeth, is a play that I can read over and over again. I love the deceit, the plotting, the out and out betrayal among friends and so easy! Now this is drama!

Macbeth - what a back stabber! I love him. How quick he turns from his noble quest for the queen when the queens dangle the crown under his nose, fulling knowing that those he/she' are manipulative. And Lady Macbeth - I just love the scene where she tries to rub out that damn spot!

The witches- what great manipulators! They totally set everyone up...including Banquo - even though he dies in the end. My favorite part of the play are the predictions. I think Bill did a great weaving and crafting them. I imagine that people back in Globe theater were shocked and impressed with the way they came out.

GREAT ONE!
5/5

2 comments:

  1. Oh goodness. It's been years since I thought of this play. My. Those witches where so evil. ;D Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks... I re-visit this one a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete