Sunday, March 6, 2011

Switched by Amanda Hocking


I can tell you that I bought this as an eBook for two reasons, one I had seen it and also it was $.99 on B&N. So why not?

When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy finds out her mother might have been telling the

truth. With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - and it's one she's not sure if she wants to be a part of.


Anyway, We meet Wendy and I would say she is well balanced. She's not an "in your face" character but she is not "weak-willed." I liked her because she was bratty to her older brother and I felt for her because her "mother" was a monster toward her. Going on, Wendy knows she is different, in the first chapter we find out she can persuade people to do what she wants by making eye contact and repeating what she wants. In comes Finn (one of my favorite names and a name in my manuscript), yes, he's the heartthrob. He's loyal and duty-bound and hott!

Some what of a spoiler (considering it happens in the fourth chapter) Wendy is a troll not the Billy Goat's Gruff troll but a new spin which I havent read yet, so big credit to Hockings for turning the perception on trolls because I def think of them as smelly and gross (anyone remember the Ernest Scared Stupid, the movie? that!) Finn is there to take her "home" to her real mother and start life over. She is also very much in danger from other trolls - Vittera. They want her because as Tove tells us, Wendy is very powerful!

Wendy has a whole world thrust upon her and is trying to be a good trylle (troll) but you get a feeling of raising frustration because she has all these questions, and NO ONE answers them for her. She is expected to be a certain way but no one gives her the why. I felt myself getting frustrated for her and for me because I wanted to know more about the Trylle world.

Some quick thoughts
Finn's my new man... though I dont love him like Patch and Will
Elora is up to something ... I probably should trust her but I don't
Tove ... I think he has a thing for Wendy - maybe betrothed?
Finn and Wendy forever :)
I want to know her other abilities.

2 comments:

  1. I've had my eyes on this one for a while, thanks for the reveiw.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sounds of this! The mother thinking daughters a monster, then maybe she is! wow. sounds great! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete