Monday, March 5, 2012

Can I get a thank you? Hottie in media

I have no shame in admitting that I am a Marvel and DC junkee. I had a brother and we had to split cartoons on Saturday. I am pretty sure I believed Gambit from the X-men was real and I was dating him. Don't judge me. 


Anyway - I just watched Thor - and I want to thank casting and the writers who brought me him.












Thank you. 


This hottie's name is Chris Hemsworth.


Some background on the character and plot line of the actual comic - Thor's father Odin decided his son needed to be taught humility and consequently placed Thor (without memories of godhood) into the body and memories of an existing, partially disabled human medical student, Donald Blake. After becoming a doctor and on vacation in Norway, Blake witnessed the arrival of an alien scouting party. Blake fled into a cave after they heard him and began to pursue him. After discovering Thor's disguised hammer Mjolnir, and striking it against a rock, he transformed into the thunder god.
Defeating the aliens, Thor shared a double life with his alter ego: treating the ill in a private practice with nurse - and eventual love - Jane Foster and defending humanity from evil. Thor's presence on Earth almost immediately attracted the attention of his adoptive brother and arch-foe Loki; who returned repeatedly to Earth in a bid to destroy Thor. Loki was also responsible for the emergence of three of Thor's principal foes: the Absorbing Man; the Wrecker, and the Destroyer. On one occasion, Loki's tactics were accidentally beneficial - although successful in using an illusion of the Hulk to draw Thor into battle, it resulted in the formation of the superhero team the Avengers, of which Thor was a founding and longstanding member. - Wikipedia

In the movie - why did I like him? Besides this? 

There needs to be more than a shirtless stud? OK. So besides the hottie that was casted, my love of comic book heroes, I also liked how he bantered with Jane. I found myself laughing (boyfriend getting annoyed) when they interacted. For example.

[after Thor has regained his powers and is wearing his warrior costume with the red cape]
Jane Foster: So is this how you normally look?
Thor: More or less.
Jane Foster: It's a good look!



What's your favorite Marvel or DC superhero? And why?

8 comments:

  1. I remember 10 years ago when Chris used to be on an Australian TV show called Home & Away. I used to be so in love with him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so into Chris Hemsworth, too. So much so, in fact that this summer, my boyfriend and I are getting an English Bulldog puppy, whom we will name Thor. Chris is such a strange dog's name and we can get away with calling him Thor without my boyfriend knowledgeable of the connection! : )

    I can't say that I have a favorite Marvel or DC superhero but this one is high on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! Oh yes. I really enjoyed this movie! And Chris was a lovely addition to the story line. :D Glad to see you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some FIIINE genes in that family! His bother is Liam Hemsworth, who was in The Last Song and will be playing Gale in The Hunger Games.

    I don't normally like guys with long hair (yet that's long to me) but I drooled over him in Thor. Although I found the movie to be kind of a shallow and cheesy. Mostly action lacking story. (And fairly off from the comic, to my so-so knowledge.) It was still enjoyable.
    I'm very much looking forward to The Avengers, and seeing him in it!

    I totally dated Gambit too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um.. What's this? The Avengers? I am going straight to the IMDB website. It's a toss up between him and his brother - though Chris is a superhero.

      Delete
  5. You were dating Gambit too? That two-timing man whore. I was in LOVE with him as a kid. So weird. It's the accent.

    And the Thor guy is dreamy. I drool every time.

    ReplyDelete