Saturday, December 14, 2013

An example as a mommy.

Writing has always been part of my life. When I was a little girl, I would write poems and give them as presents. My mom still has a collections of the poems I wrote her. I started my first novel when I was in 9th grade. It never really made it anywhere.

English class was a natural thing for me in high school. I excelled and didn't try very hard. I didn't have to.

About 8 years ago, I was sitting in a Grad class with my favorite professor Dr. Terry Mosher. And part of the course was working on our own writing. It had been years since I had actually written something that wasn't for an assignment. But as we went around the room, announcing what we would be working on for the semester, the words: a novel popped out. He replied, with a smile "Nothing like being an overachiever.

So I began. I finished it. I never showed it to anyone. EVER.

Three years ago I started the Owens Legacy. I was on fire. I was going to do this. I was going to be successful. I had a goal and from that goal, multiple goals sprung up. I had a purpose beyond teaching, beyond family and friends. I was going to be famous.

Now Walker is out. (Go me.) But this book is different for me when it comes to purpose. This time, I am a mommy of a beautiful almost 6 month old. And I sit around thinking about everything with her. I come back to the thoughts of who I want her to be and examples and how do I make her a strong person.

I now write to set an example for my daughter that dreams can come true, that I am hard working, that I will work and work and not give up, that I have goals. I want to be that for her. Being a mommy - changes you.

No comments:

Post a Comment