Thursday, June 20, 2013

Editing diseases


When completing a manuscript, there is no greater feeling. Truly. I feel like I climbed Mount Everest without oxygen. It's amazing. Can my writing friends agree? What do you feel like?

Then reality - your manuscript is no where close to being done. In fact, it's never done. EVER. Insert sad face - (OR I'M GOING TO GO INSANE face). But if you are like me, you have multiple wonderful beta partners who help you shape and fill in the gaps while you edit and get your dreams for your "baby" back on track.

I have been talking about my dream walking novel for a year now. It's done. It was edited by my dear friend Nadine, and I have been dilly dallying with editing, because it's my least favorite part, but I am pushing through. But while editing, I have had to check back in with my doctor about "That-itis". For those of you who are unaware of what this disesase is: Its the overuse of the word "that". In most cases the word "that" is only a filler and is unnecessary to the sentence's structure, but the writer cannot help herself but put it into the sentence. THAT being said - Nadine was happy to report that I still show signs, but am getting better.

Something else I have noticed this writing process is my use of commas. I know the (million) rules for comma usage. I teach English for crying out loud. I harp on my students pretty hard. I am confident I know when to use a comma, EXCEPT when I write. I think I might be developing a case of Comma-itis. Be careful, I am not sure if it is catchy.

What do you "suffer" from? What do you notice about your writing during the editing process?

No comments:

Post a Comment