Monday, May 9, 2011

Demon Glass by Rachel Hawkins

This is the sequel to Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins


I thought Hex Hall was good but I thought Demon Glass was much better. Hex Hall was a
novel that could have ended. But, it didn't and now I'm glad.

Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she


Shophie starts the story her snarky self at Hex Hall, still stinging from her love for Archer Cross (probably one of the best names out there) but then there is Cal, which in the first two chapters we find out is Sophie's betrothed. Also in the beginning, Sophie goes to Thorne Abbey in London with her dad, Jenna (the vamp) and Cal (the super healer/janitor of Hex
Hall).

Well she gets there and there are some surprising characters *spoiler* including to demons (but weren't Sophie and her dad the only two demons - I feel the plot thickening) - I'm not going to spoil reason they are there...but Nick and Daisy (the demons), they're off.

I thought the relationship between Cal and Sophie would become smokey hott but in comes the spying, hottie of Sophie's dreams, Archer. And try as they both might, they love each other. And I love the fact that they love each other... (though I don't love him like I love Chase, Will, or Dimitri - I just kinda crush on him)

Well it all goes bad and I have to tell you it is one of the WORST cliffhangers - and I mean it leave you going "Is there another page?!"

Some quick thoughts:
Sophie's mom is way more involved in this than she appears
How crap I feel bad for "dad" at the end
Sophie needs to step up her demon game...lets see a little more bad ass with the snark
Someone is totally going to die in the beginning of the next book and I have no idea who...but somebody
Elodie is back.

2 comments:

  1. Gee, where did you get this book, hmmmmm. I downloaded it too, for Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hearing that this book is very good. Much better than HexHall. :) I won this book and have it here, but I have to get Hex Hall before I get into it. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete