Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Doorknob Society by M.J. Fletcher

Photobucket





Chloe Masters’s world changed in a heartbeat - and all she did was touch a doorknob.
When she was young Chloe’s mother vanished. Wracked by feelings of abandonment and anger she lost herself traveling with her father's magic act, where illusions were part of her everyday life. Yet everything changes when they are pursued by a mysterious man in black out to kill her father. Touching a doorknob activates abilities she never knew she had and she finds herself thrust into a world of ancient societies and secrets.
When her father disappears it is a race against time to find answers before she loses what is left of her family. Now Chloe must choose who to trust, the man who will do anything for her or the one she can’t stop thinking about.
Book one of the Doorknob Society series.

My review:
I absolutely loved Chloe as a character. I felt terrible about how her mother vanished when she was a child and how hard that must have been. I thought Chloe was a very real character and I got to see her come into her own as the story continued. It's a great thing when you can see a character develop throughout a novel!

I'm dying to tell you what the abilities are, what societies are included, what situation Chloe finds herself in, but if I told you, you wouldn't get the surprises that I did.

I was relieved when Chloe started to get the answers that she was looking for!
Overall, I thought this was a great read and something different. I hadn't really read anything like this before and I'm really happy I got to read this.

I had the awesome privilege of interviewing M.J. Fletcher. I love finding out what makes a writer a writer!

What sparked the idea for this book? 
I was fascinated with the idea of using a doorknob to be able to travel anywhere. Something about taking something ordinary and turn it into something extraordinary really appealed to me.

What made you want to be a writer? 
Ever since I was young I wanted to write. When I was five I was stapling together pages to make my own comic book. Luckily my mother was a writer and helped to nurture the craft in me.

What was one of the hardest moments to overcome as a writer? 
Just sitting down and getting it done. A writer’s biggest enemy is putting off writing. When I finally was able to push through and write I knew there was nothing else I wanted to do.

What was one of the most rewarding moments? 
When I was told by a young fan that they wished they could be friends with the characters in The Doorknob Society. I knew I was on to something at that moment.


Which writers have influenced you, and why? 
Chris Claremont, was a big influence growing up as I read his writing on X-Men and learned a great deal about characterization. JRR Tolkien, was another who inspired me.

What are you working on now? 
I am working on the final book in The Doorknob Society Saga, The Skeleton Key Guild. I also did the outline for my next young adult series, a dieselpunk set in an alternate 1950’s. And I’m also working on the Doorknob Society comic book. As well as writing the webcomic Adam Zero.

What are five non-writing facts about you? 
I am a big comic book geek, live by the beach, have a cat and dog that can’t stand one another, have a spectacular daughter and make a mean meatloaf.

Thanks so much for the opportunity to be interviewed and I hope your readers enjoy it. - M.J. Fletcher

Thank you for stopping by and thank you for a great read!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to review it and the interview. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete