Saturday, July 7, 2012

Struck by Jennifer Bosworth

Mia Price is a lightning addict. She’s survived countless strikes, but her craving to connect to the energy in storms endangers her life and the lives of those around her.

Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come.

Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn’t who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything


First - lets give some cover love!

I think I am coming off the dystopia trend. While I thought the premise of the book, it taking place while the Apocalypse was happening or going to happen, and the influence of religion on the subject, the book, overall, did not move at a fast enough pace for me. I found Mia to be a really loyal and family oriented character. She clearly loves her mother who is suffering and is trying to keep it together for her younger brother.

She's got a lot on her plate, personally, and then you add in that her city is in shambles and ruins? Yeah, the girl has got it tough.

Jeremy was not as captivating as I wanted him to be. While he played the part of the crush, he didn't protect her as much as I needed him to and he wasn't all that bad ass. Yes - people - I love the bad ass, somewhat of a jerk guy. Jeremy's awfully nice. Some of you are going to fall in love with him.

I always find religion, and the way people interpret and can form it into a big problem, fascinating. I use religion in my sequel of the The Owens Legacy, because religion strikes a cord with people. It's one of those topics. What's that advice people give? Never talk money, sports, and religion in a bar. People always get fired up. Struck, by no means is controversial, but it pulls in religion well. There are two groups of people in this novel, the believers who follow the profit a very persuasive televangelist (perfect for people who are afraid during the Apocalypse) and the seekers people who, I think wanted the same as the believers, but did not go about it the most pure fashion.




2 comments:

  1. This one was an okay read for me, too. I loved Jeremy and wanted to smother him in hugs, but something about STRUCK just fell a bit flat for me. Maybe it was the pacing for me, too, but I was left wanting...more. Great review, chica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molli! I did want more... and see you loved Jeremy!

      Delete