Friday, July 8, 2011

Queen of the Dead by Stacey Kade

After being sent back from the light, Alona Dare - former homecoming queen, current Queen of the Dead - finds herself doing something she never expected: working. Instead of spending days perfecting her tan by the pool (her typical summer routine when she was, you know, alive), Alona must now cater to the needs of other lost spirits. By her side for all of this - ugh - “helping of others” is Will Killian: social outcast, seer of the dead, and someone Alona cares about more than she’d like.
Before Alona can make a final ruling on Will’s “friend” or “more” status, though, she discovers trouble at home. Her mom is tossing out Alona’s most valuable possessions, and her dad is expecting a new daughter with his wicked wife. Is it possible her family is already moving on? Hello! She’s only been dead for two months! Thankfully, Alona knows just the guy who can put a stop to this mess.Unfortunately for Alona, Will has other stuff on his mind, and Mina, a young (and beautiful) seer, is at the top of the list. She’s the first ghost-talker Will’s ever met—aside from his father—and she may hold answers to Will’s troubled past. But can she be trusted? Alona immediately puts a check mark in the “clearly not” column. But Will is - ahem - willing to find out, even if it means leaving a hurt and angry Alona to her own devices, which is never a good idea.
Packed with romance, lovable characters, and a killer cliffhanger, Queen of the Dead is the out-of-this-world sequel to The Ghost and the Goth

Remember how yesterday I thought The Ghost and The Goth was a light, funny read? This was NOT the case with Queen of the Dead. Several times, I felt so bad for Alona, to the point where I was tearing up. The first was one her mom started packing up all of her stuff and tossing it to the curb, after only two months of her being gone. I have to tell you, if I died, my mom would not be doing that so quickly. You could read how upset Alona was. Then she goes to her dad's house, finds out he is having a baby girl, and places the sonogram picture over Alona's, which in reality, he didn't get rid of Alona's picture, but Alona feels like the baby is a replacement. Again, it's not that way, but a 17 year old girl would feel that way... I'm 2$ and I would feel that way if I were in the situation. The next situation and somewhat of a spoiler is when Will tells Alona they should go their separate ways! WHAT?! Yeah, she screws up. BIG TIME at the end, but separate ways? Wasn't this the girl you crushed on since 6th grade and made out with when she was dead?! I was so angry. All this stuff was frustrating but great because I felt something while I was reading. I love it when an author can do that.

Come to find out there are a bunch of people like Will, not everywhere, but others and they work together, and enter Mina, Alona's insecurity. Mina is like Will, saucy, bad hair according to Alona, and very much alive. Alona is worried throughout the whole book that Will not want her anymore because she is a ghost. Back to Mina, she has some of her own issues, dragging Will into them.

There were still some really funny moments because Will and Alona are pretty bold about what they say. I like the few kissing moments. For those of you who have read this book, is it weird for you that they kiss? It's not for me. The third installment does not come out until NEXT SUMMER!

Some quick thoughts:
The ending, wow, you are going to be mad it doesn't come out till next summer... you wait.
Mina's dad- holy issues.
Will's mom is adjusting - good for her
Again, the dude on the cover is not Will - can I get a retake?
Alona is growing but she still who she was in the beginning of the series, if that makes sense.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I just finished Ghost and the Goth and I loved it! I had to restrain myself from going out and getting Queen of the Dead that night...but now I'm worried! lol it still wont stop me from getting it but now im stressed! ahh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont be worried! It's still great! It's just a different feel. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete