Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Shameless Promotion - Part 2


Hi everyone. I am rounding up my friends and doing a panel on indie-publishing.  I asked a bunch of questions (things I want to know and others probably do to), they answered, and I am putting it together. Stop by every Wednesday for the next few weeks.

So why the title of this post? Because they are promoting how awesome they are.

My authors are: Erica Cope, Heather Diemer, and J.A. Lantz

Erica:
Why did you choose to do Indie publishing? Honestly? Because Abbi Glines recommended it when I met her at a book signing in 2012. 

How was the editing process? Editing is my least favorite part of the process. I think it's because I always tend to read what I think instead of what I actually wrote. I'm much better at editing for other people.

What were some wonderful things? Reading the feedback notes from my editor!

What were some difficult things about editing? It can feel tedious reading the same thing over and over.

Do you hold down a “day” job? If so, how do you find the time? My day job is “mommy” so I write whenever I can fit it in during the day (when they are napping or the rare times they are entertaining themselves) and at night when they are in bed. 

What kind of writing schedule do you keep to? Welllllll, I tend to write in spurts. There will be weeks where all I do is write, write, write! And then there are times (usually right after I publish) that I do nothing but think about the next story. Then when the mood strikes I write, write, write until it's finished. It's probably not the most productive but what can I say? It's how I roll.


J.A. Lantz

Why did you choose to do Indie publishing?
Well, I haven’t published yet, but I’m going the Indie route because I don’t want to wait or endure the lengthy process of traditional publishing. I don’t have anything against traditional publishing – they’ve provided me with some of my favorite books – but the turn around time is too long. I’m already itching to get published as it is, I couldn’t imagine having to wait even longer. Also, I want to avoid rejections because I don’t fit into what the publisher is doing or thinks the readers want. I want my book out there and let the readers decide.

How was the editing process?
“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times” seems to sum up the editing process pretty well. I enjoyed editing because it allowed me to think about my story in new ways, to streamline the story, to refine the characters and, obviously, fix all my errors (or learning moments as I think of them). On the other hand, editing can be grueling at times because it takes time, time and even more time.

What were some wonderful things? What were some difficult things about editing?
Wonderful things: positive feedback from my editor, constructive criticism, sense of accomplishment, seeing less and less red ink on the pages, and enthusiasm for my work from my editor.

Difficult things: saying goodbye to favorite scenes/moments that didn’t help the story but were awesome, having to pull out the entirely distinct novel I somehow managed to write within Helix, being able to see that story as a story in itself, and having so many new ideas for other stories pop into my mind causing me to stop editing and write those ideas down.

Do you hold down a “day” job? If so, how do you find the time?
I work as a substitute teacher, so I often have days that are free which are spent editing and writing – not necessarily in that order. As a substitute, I’m able to use prep time to, one, prepare for the classes I’m covering and, two, to write on either my laptop or notepads depending on the time available. However, I always put the teaching responsibilities first.

What kind of writing schedule do you keep to?
On my non-work days Monday through Friday, I can be found at the dining room table writing for hours – morning to night. On Saturdays, I squeeze in as much writing as possible around family obligations. On Sundays, I get nothing done because I live with avid (often angry) Bills fans, who shout, yell and cheer as if they were at the stadium. Distracting. Needless to say I look forward to non-football season Sundays.

Heather:
Why did you choose to do Indie publishing?
I have several friends who’ve published independently and have had success.  Indie authors have a close knit fan base who support each other. 

How was the editing process?
I’m not at that stage yet, but I have a friend who is an editor as well as some friends I think would be willing to help edit. 

Do you hold down a “day” job? If so, how do you find the time?
I do have a part time job that I do from home, I also am finishing up my bachelor’s degree online.  I write when I can, at night or when my husband is home.

What kind of writing schedule do you keep to?
I don’t have a set schedule.  Work and school come first and then writing fits in after those are done for the day.

Me:
Why did you choose to do Indie publishing?
I originally went both routes and was going to go with what panned out first. Indie did. I have one out there right now, one is coming out in December, and I will go this route because now, I can't imagine waiting to publish my work. It's immediate gratification - I like it. :) 

How was the editing process?
Long - I often ask myself why I can't do it right the first time! I luck out because I have a close friend who does a great job editing for me. I also have great Beta readers. Wouldn't make it without these people. 

What were some wonderful things? What were some difficult things about editing?
Wonderful things - about editing? Why did I put that question. Difficult? - Finding time. It's hard to keep to a schedule when you have a daunting task ahead of you. I have to make myself sit down and do it. I am my own boss so there is no one cracking the whip over my head. 

Do you hold down a “day” job? If so, how do you find the time?
I do. I teach middle school English. I don't really. I steal the hour I can get when I get it. 

What kind of writing schedule do you keep to?
No schedule here. I just try to write once a week, like a good hour or two of non-stop typing. I normally have ideas bouncing around in my head so I can shell out some serious words in that time.




What about you? What's your writing schedule? How do you keep to a plan?

Let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment